The Steam Pinnace restoration – Shield Marine
Tuesday 25th August 2015
Shield Marine recently carried out restoration works on a Naval Pinnace in Gosport, Hampshire. The Steam Pinnace 199 was built for the Royal Navy at J. Samuel White’s Yard at Cowes in 1911. On acceptance into the Royal Navy, she would have been allocated to one of the capital ships of the time – probably HMS Monarch, as one of the two steam pinnaces carried on board. She was one of a large number of such vessels – the Navy List of 1914 showed 634 of these vessels in service. In 1918, Pinnace 199 was converted to an admiral’s barge by adding a counter stern and a brass funnel.
Following several changes of ownership and location the bare hull was acquired by the Royal Naval Museum (Now National Museum of the Royal Navy Portsmouth) in 1979 for restoration by the Steam Launch Restoration Group in Gosport.
A pinnace boiler and a compound engine from a similar steam pinnace were provided from the Royal Navy’s Marine Engineering establishment HMS Sultan. The Restoration Group developed into The Maritime Workshop.
In 1984, she was recommissioned and used for VIP transport and exhibited in the Mast Pond of the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth. The vessel remained in the Mast Pond until 1998 when it was transferred to the Maritime Workshop in Gosport in need of a complete refit.
Recently she was successfully refitted in the Gosport workshop with a new boiler, Shield Marine supplied expertise in restoring the lagging (insulation) to be sympathetic to her years but utilising modern materials instead of the older more hazardous Asbestos.