Health & Safety/Compliance Manager – Bristol & South West
Tuesday 18th September 2018
Established in 1979, Shield Environmental Services has become one of the largest national service providers in the environmental service sector. We have grown steadily over the years and have constantly adapted to meet the demands and changing practises of the sectors we work with. However some things have never changed and we believe that our success is based upon our original core principal of exceptional customer care. We feel honoured to have many long-standing relationships with our clients, many of whom we have been working with for years.
Shield Environmental Services Limited is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.
An opportunity has arisen for an Health & Safety/Compliance Manager to work with our Scaffolding, Electrical, Fire & Security and Insulation divisions in Bristol and South West
We are looking for someone to develop into the role and preferably live within the Bristol or South West area who is willing to travel to our branches and sites across the South West region.
- Ensure an understanding of the risks and control measures associated with their work, for all staff. Ensure sub-contractors adhere to the same standards.
- Ensure appropriate documentation is available: current, organised, relevant.
- Ensure people understand their Health & Safety obligations, and those of others.
- Implement systems to ensure Health & Safety performance is measured – to check controls are working and standards are being implemented, and to learn from mistakes if things go wrong.
- Ensuring compliance to the company policies and procedures, and the statutory regulations.
Establish, manage and monitor standards, processes, communications, and systems to ensure:
- Existence and awareness of a suitable and relevant Health & Safety policies.
- A safe workplace without risk to health.
- Safe plant and machinery, and safe movement, storage and use of articles and substances.
- Adequate provision of first aid and welfare facilities and support.
- Provision of suitable and current information and supervision concerning Health & Safety policies and practices.
- Proper and timely assessment of risks to Health & Safety, and implementation of measures and arrangements identified as necessary from the assessments.
- Provision of emergency procedures, first aid facilities, safety signs, relevant protective clothing and equipment, and incident reporting to the relevant authorities.
- Liaison as necessary with other organisations and relevant authorities, and assistance and cooperation concerning audits and remedial actions.
- Prevention and precautions against, or adequate control of, exposure to hazardous substances, and danger from flammable, explosive, electrical, noise, radiation and manual handling risks.
- Surveillance and reporting on Health & Safety practices and systems.
- Recruitment, selection, management and development of Health & Safety direct-reporting staff.
- Management of Site compliance auditing.
- Compliance reporting for site audits and branch/division operations
- Coordinate site audits by external bodies, where applicable.
- Overseeing the audits of plans of work or method statements for divisions
- Maintaining effective templates and procedures for the planning of site work
- Ensuring respiratory protective equipment (RPE) compliance
- Assess fire safety in all work places
- Raise levels of awareness and understanding of safety and quality through on-the-job coaching, and the proactive provision of advice, guidance and support.
Qualifications and experience:
Broad experience in the construction field, ideally with a background in Safety, Quality auditing or site inspection. The candidate will need a good understanding of industries they are responsible for and know the expectations of external consultants, and the HSE. They will have a general appreciation of the client’s operational needs.
- Prepared to travel as required throughout the UK.
- Experience of operating at a managerial level within a SHE role.
- Knowledge of Hazardous Waste Requirements would be a distinct advantage.
- Professional qualifications in Health & Safety.
- Extensive management experience
Other qualities and requirements:
We require a trustworthy, professional and open person with excellent communication and organisational skills. They should be able to motivate key individuals, regardless of role or position, enabling the creation of a positive safety culture.
Must be prepared to travel extensively and work in different environments and to deliver objectives to tight deadlines.
Computer literate – Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
Able to work without supervision and demonstrate effective self-management.
- Able to effectively prioritise work whilst under time-pressures.
- Good communication and written skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
If you are interested in this role please send a copy of your CV for review to firstname.lastname@example.org
No agencies please.